Finding a Balance of Form and Function
DESIGN AND STYLE
1. From a design standpoint, what I don’t I like about my current bathroom?
2. What is the architectural style of my home? Do I want my bathroom to reflect this style?
3. Which general style do I like—contemporary, traditional, country or transitional (a mix of contemporary and traditional)?
4. Is it important for my bathroom to create a relaxing, spa-like atmosphere?
5. Is there a particular design theme I want to use?
6. What colors do I like? Which ones do I dislike?
7. What rooms adjoin the bathroom? Does the bathroom need to complement their design?
8. What are some designs and products that I like? Create a folder or notebook with notes and images, including bathroom photos, layouts, colors, descriptions, lists…everything that catches your eye.
FUNCTION & STORAGE
1. Am I remodeling a powder room, full or guest bath, or a master bathroom?
2. What’s on the wish list of everyone who uses the bathroom?
3. Can I keep any of my existing fixtures (toilets, tubs, sinks, shower)? Do I want to?
4. Can I keep any of my existing fittings (tub faucet, sink faucet, shower head(s))? Do I want to?
5. Do I need to replace any plumbing products with more water-efficient models?
6. Do I need new flooring, or can I keep or refinish the existing floor?
7. Do I need new wall, utility or vanity cabinets, or can I reface or refinish the existing cabinets?
8. Do I need more storage space?
9. Do I need more space for grooming or applying makeup?
10. Do I need more than one sink?
11. Can I create extra room by organizing the current space better, or do I need to change the bathroom layout?
12. Can I change the layout within the existing bathroom footprint, or do I need to add space from another room in the house or through an addition?
13. What kind of storage space do I need, and what am I storing? Possibilities to consider include: toiletries, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, towels, electrical items.
14. Do I have enough electrical outlets for hair blowers, curlers, electric shavers, etc.?
15. Do I have enough light and the right type of lights for grooming or applying makeup?
16. How many people use the bathroom regularly? How old are they? Does anyone have special needs?